what is even DISCUSSED at a “femme conference”…? how to continue reinforcing stereotypes and relegating people to specific, pre-determined categories based on SUPER out-dated notions on what it means to be a gay woman? laaaame. Source: juliaperchance
Probably anyone who would attend a femme conference wouldn’t feel that they were “relegated” to that category, they would self-identify as femme (asserting their own sense of agency around their sexuality and gender identity) and they would probably want to discuss issues such as stereotypes about queerness and femininity, thus proving that “femme” is something that is constantly being redefined and redetermined, not something that is simply forced upon them. Not everyone who identifies as femme is gay or a woman either. The fact that people have such negative associations with femme identification, (even and especially within the queer community) is the reason that this annual event happens- providing a space to think through such issues in a non-threatening environment.
What is discussed? Femme invisibility, creating femme identity in radical & responsible ways, community, queer markers … and tons of other stuff.
And by the way, femme identity is not “outdated.” There are thousands of people creating and re-creating femininity in queer contexts which are liberating and celebratory, not full of restriction or judgement, and which are created for the person to feel good in their body and with their gender expression. To lump femme identity in with some notion of the binary gender roles reproduced on “gay women” is to seriously miss the gender revolution that is happening right now.
yikes. it’s so seriously sad to me that some queer women don’t undertand that no one is asking them to identify as femme.
but me? i AM femme.
so please don’t be so myopic to assume that this is an outdated notion, because femme, to me, feels right. i’m so glad this conference exists, so that we CAN play with and celebrate that identity, so that we CAN recognize each other in the absence of a heteronormative lens.
- femme-as-fuck reblogged this from mrsexsmith and added:
- fraulein-nina-in-private reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes
- transqueermediaexchange likes this
- grrlyman reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes and added:
- blueseptemberrose reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes and added:
- fuckyeahsnackables reblogged this from southerngentlequeer and added:
- fuckyeahsnackables likes this
- southerngentlequeer reblogged this from sp0ka and added:
- purpletransgrrrl likes this
- vintagecashmere reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes
- quelola likes this
- ohbettinadear reblogged this from mrsexsmith and added:
- nicbravo likes this
- ceilingtofloor likes this
- capitolfemme reblogged this from mrsexsmith
- mrsexsmith reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes
- dzejdzej123 likes this
- ofbecoming likes this
- fitforafemme likes this
- herdirtylittleheart likes this
- superdreaming likes this
- southerngentlequeer likes this
- femininity likes this
- mach20 likes this
- tapyourglass reblogged this from elfyourmother and added:
- tapyourglass likes this
- elfyourmother reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes
- fromonesurvivortoanother likes this
- turkeybaconese likes this
- clementine-season likes this
- mizabitha likes this
- hannahmight likes this
- dykings likes this
- femmadilemma reblogged this from fuckyeahfemmes and added:
- fuckyeahfemmes posted this